With the wanderlust fad more and more turning into a common ardour right now, an increasing number of individuals are inclined to journey as a lot as they’ll. Europe was as soon as a dream vacation spot for a typical Filipino till the journey bug bit tougher. In the present day, Africa is slowly making its method to our journey bucket-list too, due to Lion King and late evening Animal Planet binge-watching. So should you’ve had sufficient of Paris or Barcelona, or just seeking to amp up your touring badge, then prepare for some journey plans “nerding” as a result of Africa, right here we come!
On this article, I current the Predominant Hubs to get there together with some helpful info on visa and nation highlights of the High African locations that can assist you begin planning your African journey!
North & East AFRICA Visa Information for Philippines Passport Holder
Visa required earlier than Touring
- South Africa: Free for a go to as much as 30 days. USD 48 for a go to exceeding 30 days
- Namibia: USD 77 for single-entry and USD 115 for multiple-entry
- Botswana: USD 107 for single entry plus 30 USD for a tourism levy
Visa required however will be utilized on-line
- Kenya: USD 100 for single-entry visas or you will get EAC Visa which covers Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda for a similar worth. Learn extra about East Africa Visa for Filipinos.
- Ethiopia: USD 20 for single-entry, USD 30 for a number of entry legitimate for Three months and USD 40 for a number of entry legitimate for six months.
- Zimbabwe: USD 55 for a single-entry and USD 70 for double-entry
- Zambia: USD 50 for a 90-day entry visa on arrival legitimate inside a interval of 12 months
Visa on Arrival
- Tanzania: USD 50 for single-entry and USD 100 for multiple-entry
- Uganda: USD 50 for single-entry on arrival
- Madagascar: USD 27 for a 90-day entry
- Seychelles: 30-day customer’s allow obtainable on arrival, legitimate for a most of 30 days keep; USD 40 will likely be collected as airport departure tax
No Visa Required
Your first problem in visiting Africa begins as you select your vacation spot. From seeing your Nat Geo goals come to life to assembly surviving tribes, the continent is not going to run wanting bucket-list-worthy must-dos. To present you a grasp of every nation’s focal factors, listed here are a few of the issues it’s best to know:
- Morocco: Dwelling to magnificent mosques, unique Moroccan patterns in addition to leather-based, beautiful delicacies, and naturally, the Sahara Desert.
- Ethiopia: Distinctive landscapes and peerless historical past make Ethiopia world famend. The sights and historical past dates again 1000’s of years and it’s the solely place on the earth the place you’ll be able to see the Simien wolf amongst different unique animals. The bottom place on earth, the Danakil Despair, is a must-visit too.
- Kenya: In style for its big inhabitants of massive cats, lovely shoreline and vibrant nightlife within the metropolis. Masai Mara, its largest recreation reserve, is understood to be the first inspiration for the setting of Disney’s The Lion King.
- Tanzania: Well-known for its scenic views that depict “Wild Africa”. The Serengeti Nationwide Park is one of the best place to see the Wildebeest Migration all year long and isn’t to be missed. Zanzibar and Mt. Kilimanjaro, the best mountain in Africa, are additionally amongst its prime tourism merchandise.
- Uganda: Dwelling to one of many world’s most endangered primates, the Mountain Gorillas. White water rafting on the River Nile additionally tops the checklist.
- Rwanda: One other nation wonderful for Mountain Gorilla in addition to Chimpanzee viewing. When in Kigali, the nation’s capital, ensure that to go to to the Genocide Memorial.
- Madagascar: The fourth largest island on the earth well-known for its tall baobab bushes, pepper, vanilla & lemurs. It’s also residence to very uncommon animal species just like the dwarf hippopotamus and the large fowl with out wings.
- Seychelles: A very fashionable honeymoon vacation spot with beautiful seashores. Praslin Island, which has been known as the “blueprint for the proper tropical island” is one in all its wonders.
- Zimbabwe: Probably the most outstanding function of Zimbabwe is Victoria Falls, which lies near the attractive Zambezi River and is likely one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
- Zambia: View of the Victoria falls from Zambia facet is postcard-perfect. If you happen to are available in low water season, a swim on the Satan’s Pool the place you danger a 355 toes drop is an exercise for the adventurous souls.
- Namibia: Namibia has the best dunes on the earth at Sossusvlei and one in all world’s best conservation areas – Etosha Nationwide Park. Its Coastal Desert can be one of many oldest deserts on earth.
- Botswana: Dwelling to well-known landmarks such because the Okavango Delta and Kalahari desert. For sightings of elephant herds, head to Chobe Nationwide Park.
- South Africa: Maybe essentially the most visited nation in Africa. Identified for its numerous actions that vary from wine tasting on the Cape, shark cage diving, seals and penguins viewing, and safari recreation driving. South Africa can be residence to Desk Mountain, which is believed to be one of many oldest mountains on the earth.
Predominant African Hubs
Under is a listing of the principle worldwide gateways in every of the 5 areas that folks often fly into when leap beginning their African journey:
North Africa consists of Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic and Egypt. The largest hubs discovered on this area are:
- Mohammed V Worldwide Airport
Location: Casablanca, Morocco
Airport Code: CMN
- Cairo Worldwide Airport
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Airport Code: CAI
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Airport Code: TUN
Southern Africa covers Angola, Botswana, Eswatini (Swaziland), Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. These are the principle worldwide hubs on this area:
- O. R. Tambo Worldwide Airport
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Airport Code: JNB
- Cape City Worldwide Airport
Location: Cape City, South Africa
Airport Code: CPT
East Africa is principally made up of the next international locations: Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, and South Sudan. However there may be additionally one other area, often thought of separate from East Africa, known as the Horn of Africa which covers Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan, Djibouti and Eritrea. Seychelles, Mauritius and Comoros are small island nations within the Indian Ocean, and lastly, now we have Madagascar, which additionally belong in East Africa. Listed here are East Africa’s main (and busiest) airports:
- Jomo Kenyatta Worldwide Airport
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Airport Code: NBO
- Julius Nyerere Worldwide Airport
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Airport Code: DAR
- Addis Ababa Bole Worldwide Airport
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Airport Code: ADD
West Africa consists of 15 international locations: Benin, Burkina Faso, the island nation of Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo. The busiest and largest hubs within the area are:
- Murtala Muhammed Worldwide Airport
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Airport Code: LOS
- Kotoka Worldwide Airport
Location: Accra, Ghana
Airport Code: ACC
- Léopold Sédar Senghor Worldwide Airport
Location: Dakar, Senegal
Airport Code: DKR
Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, and São Tomé and Príncipe makes up Central Africa. This area has the least worldwide flights and doesn’t provide nice regional connecting flights both. However to your reference, listed here are the busiest and largest airports on this area:
- Léon-Mba Worldwide Airport
Location: Libreville, Gabon
Airport Code: LBV
- Douala Worldwide Airport
Location: Douala, Cameroon
Airport Code: DLA
Totally different routes from Manila to Africa
Whereas there is just one airline flying on to Africa, there are nonetheless a number of different nice choices from Ninoy Aquino Worldwide Airport (NAIA). Listed here are my prime advisable routes:
Route zero: Straight to Addis Ababa from Manila through Ethiopian Airways
That is the most suitable choice if heading east at 14 hrs flying time. And with Ethiopian visa being a fast on-line utility away for Philippines passports, properly, Hey Africa!
Route 1: through the Center East
For non-direct flights, that is one of the best route as flights are aplenty going to main cities inside Africa.
Flights from Manila to the Center East is round 9 hours, and the onwards flight to Africa is determined by your finish vacation spot. To the closest international locations akin to Tunisia or Egypt, the flight time is Four-5 hours, whereas should you fly to Johannesburg within the Southern Africa its about 9-10 hours flight time. If you’re heading to the western a part of Africa akin to Morocco, count on a flight time of at the very least Eight-9 hours.
- Dubai: obtainable flights to South Africa, Morocco, Ghana, Senegal, Kenya, Egypt, Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Nigeria.
- Istanbul: obtainable flights to South Africa, Cameroon, Ghana, Senegal, Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, and Nigeria.
- Doha: obtainable flights to South Africa; Tunisia, Nigeria, Ethiopia, and Kenya.
- Jeddah: obtainable flights to South Africa, Kenya, Ethiopia, Morocco, Egypt, and Tunisia.
- Abu Dhabi: obtainable flights to South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya, Tanzania, Egypt, Morocco.
- Muscat: obtainable flights to Morocco, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Tanzania.
Route 2: through the USA
This route is relevant for these with a legitimate US Visa. As soon as within the land of the free, make your method to any of those US cities that cater continuous direct flights to Africa.
Flying to the US will simply set you again 18-20 hours or extra. If you happen to discover a direct flight, its 14-16 hours of flying time. For the onward flight to Africa, the flight time is round 14-15 hours if you’re heading all the way down to South Africa or round 7 hours should you fly to Morocco.
- Atlanta: obtainable flights to Lagos, Nigeria; Johannesburg, South Africa;
- New York: obtainable flights to Lagos, Nigeria; Dakar, Senegal; Cairo, Egypt; Casablanca, Morocco; Johannesburg, South Africa; Accra, Ghana; Nairobi, Kenya
- Washington IAD: obtainable flights to Dakar, Senegal; Casablanca, Morocco; Johannesburg, South Africa; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Accra, Ghana.
Different flights to different African cities/international locations might also be obtainable however such flights make a stopover to both Europe or the Center East.
Route Three: through Europe
Like Route 2, this one is right for vacationers with a legitimate Schengen visa as it’s possible you’ll have to enter or transit.
The flight time from Manila to Europe varies, a direct flight to London takes about 13 hours, whereas Amsterdam with a brief stopover on the best way takes round 15-16 hours. The onwards flight to Africa once more is determined by your finish vacation spot. Flying to Morocco within the North takes about Four hours whereas Johannesburg in South takes about 11 hours.
Listed here are essential cities in Europe and the UK that cater direct flights to Africa:
- Amsterdam: obtainable flights to Johannesburg, South Africa; Nairobi, Kenya; Kampala, Uganda; Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; Accra, Ghana; and Cairo, Egypt.
- London (Heathrow): obtainable flights to Nigeria; Nairobi, Kenya; Johannesburg, South Africa
- Rome: obtainable flights to Casablanca, Morocco; Johannesburg, South Africa; and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Paris: obtainable flights to a number of international locations and cities in South Africa, Nairobi, Ethiopia, Ghana, Nigeria, Morocco, and Egypt amongst others
Route Four: through different Asian international locations
The best benefit of this route is that almost all Asian international locations don’t require a visa from Philippine passport holders. Flights from this a part of the world, nonetheless, are scarce and comparatively costlier in comparison with flights from different international locations/continents.
Flying from Manila to every of under Asian stopovers takes round Three-Four hours flight. After which from Singapore for instance, the flight to Johannesburg takes round 10-11 hours and to Addis Ababa takes about 9 hours.
Right here’s a listing of African cities that may be instantly accessed from Asia:
- Singapore: obtainable flights to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Johannesburg, South Africa
- Beijing: obtainable flights to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Johannesburg, South Africa
- Bangkok: obtainable flights to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Nairobi, Kenya
You see, the world has made it a lot simpler for everybody to journey in Africa. Now it’s time to carry out them backpacks and head over to Africa. From thrilling wildlife encounters to assembly new cultures; from tasting unique cuisines to seeing iconic sights and scenic landscapes…Africa is not going to disappoint.
ABOUT THE WRITER
Erika Atienza is from the Philippines touring by Africa together with her husband, Martin from Denmark. Erika first got here to Africa as a advertising and marketing volunteer that ended up turning right into a enterprise. As she frequents the continent so much for work, she determined to place up a weblog to assist and encourage others to go to Africa as a result of, as she places it, “It’s extra enjoyable within the wild”. She additionally goals to indicate the Actual Africa by residing native and naturally, touring sustainably. Unravel Africa with them at whileinafrica.
Web site: whileinafrica.com
Fb: Whereas in Africa