Athens is bursting with spectacular ruins from the traditional world — which suggests it’s additionally bursting with individuals eager to see these ruins. Certain, it’s a must to go to the Parthenon and the Acropolis however you may escape the crowds by visiting different neighborhoods like Monastiráki, Pláka, and Psyrrí. The town, whereas form of ugly and troublesome to navigate, is vibrant and the cafés, bars, and eating places bustle till early into the morning.
Resorts generally is a little costly however there are a whole lot of inexpensive rental condominium choices — particularly in the event you’re touring with different individuals. Fortunately, attraction costs are about common, so visiting a couple of received’t break the financial institution. Yow will discover a whole lot of inexpensive meals choices as soon as you allow the vacationer zones.
General, Athens is an inexpensive possibility for finances vacationers — however costs skyrocket on the encircling islands.
This text is a part of our Metropolis Value Information Sequence — Click on right here to see all our metropolis value guides.
Common Each day Value for Visiting Athens
These costs are primarily based on what you’ll want to go to town comfortably as a finances traveler — they don’t embody issues like huge nights out on the bar/pub, membership entry charges, memento/clothes procuring, excursions, random purchases, nicer meals, and many others. Don’t overlook to finances further for these “non-essentials.”
Each day Value of Price range Journey in Athens: 60€ (Approx. $70)
- Points of interest: €10 (one paid attraction + any free sights)
- Meals: €24
- Breakfast: €Three
- Lunch: €6
- Dinner: €13
- Deal with (dessert/beer/wine): €2.5
- Transportation: €2
- Lodging (Hostel): €22
Each day Value of Frugal Journey in Athens: €30 (Approx. $35)
- Points of interest: €5(free strolling tour + go to one of many free sights)
- Meals: €12
- Breakfast: €zero (free hostel breakfast)
- Lunch: €Three.5 (avenue meals or takeaway store fare)
- Dinner: €7 (make your personal meal within the hostel or seize one thing low-cost)
- Beer: €1.5 (sit back on the park and have a chilly one)
- Transportation: €1.40
- Lodging: €12 (low-cost hostel mattress)
Athens Attraction and Museum Costs
Historical past buffs are in luck as a result of Athens is stuffed with a variety of historical ruins and low-cost museums.
There’s a €30 move that covers all the most important historical websites. The move is nice for 5 days so you may take your time exploring. Try the official Athens Ministry of Tradition web site for extra particulars.
- Parthenon: €20
- Acropolis: €20
- Nationwide Archaeological Museum: 7€
- Historical Agora: €Eight
- Benaki Museum: €9
- New Acropolis Museum: €5
- Temple of Olympian Zeus: €12
- Strolling Tour: Free (however it is best to tip the guides at the very least 5€) – 35€
Athens Meals Costs
Meals costs in Athens are affordable, so that you shouldn’t must dwell on bread and water. As at all times, meals does get dear round the principle vacationer areas, so it is best to hunt down eating places catering to locals. One of the best ways to replenish on a heat meal is by hitting up the road meals stalls or takeaway eating places.
Price range Breakfast: Free – €5
- Many hostels will supply a free easy breakfast that usually consists of cereal, bread/croissant, and possibly milk, espresso, tea, or juice (some hostels will supply extra and a few much less). Resort breakfasts are usually overpriced, so skip these most often.
- A breakfast pastry from a neighborhood bakery will value €1–€2.
Price range Breakfast Spots
- Spiti Mas: A pleasant little breakfast place serving up beneficiant parts.
- Meliartos: Loads of breakfast choices for everybody.
- Stani: Recognized for his or her home-made Greek yogurt.
- Completely satisfied Blender: Smoothie and Açai bowls.
Price range Lunch: €Three-€6
- Tremendous finances vacationers could make a brilliant low-cost lunch of bread, cheese, and fruit from any grocery retailer for a couple of euros.
- Caesar or Greek salad: €Four–€5
- Contemporary sandwich: €Four-€5
- Toasted cheese sandwich: €2.50
- Pita kebab: €Three–€Four
- Souvlaki (pita bread, fried potatoes, vegetable, rooster) with gyro meat: €2–€Four
Price range Lunch Spots
Price range Dinner: €Eight-€15
- It is best to be capable to discover dinner at a restaurant in a much less touristy a part of city for round €12–€16.
- A fundamental Greek meal (moussaka for instance) will value round €7-€12.
- An upscale burger with fries runs €6-€10.
Lots of the choices from the Price range Lunch part above additionally apply for dinner.
- Bandiera: Strong Greek meals in a laidback environment.
- Sfika: A small gastropub that includes tasty tapas.
- Rakor: Greek eating places with loads of vegetarian choices.
- Feyrouz: Off the vacationer path serving up tasty Turkish/Lebanese dishes.
Drinks and Alcohol
- A pint of normal beer out: €2–€Four
- Pint of beer from a grocery retailer: €1
- Bottle of (drinkable) wine from the grocery retailer: €Eight
- Espresso: €1–€2
Athens Transportation Costs
Along with strolling, Athens has a variety of public transportation choices. The bus, tram, and subway all function on the identical (inexpensive) ticket.
- Three-day limitless journey (consists of round-trip ticket to the airport): €22
- Particular person ticket (legitimate for 90 minutes): €1.40
- Each day ticket: €Four.50
Athens Hostel, Resort, & Rental Condo Costs
Lodging costs in Athens are about regular however accommodations are usually costlier than you may count on.
It is best to finances about €20/night time per particular person for a good hostel, though many hostels increase their costs on the weekend. Bear in mind, these costs are for a mattress in a shared dorm room. If you’d like a non-public room, count on to pay €70–€100 complete (for 2 individuals).
We e-book our hostels by way of Hostelworld.
Price range Resorts: €50-€150
Resorts aren’t the most cost effective since Athens is a very fashionable vacation spot. A good finances resort within the metropolis middle will value round 100€/night time. Yow will discover cheaper accommodations if you wish to keep farther away from the middle of town.
We suggest Reserving.com as a result of they’ve the largest stock of inexpensive accommodations.
Rental Condo: €30-€90/night time
From my expertise, rental residences are usually a bit larger than equally priced resort rooms. Plus, you’ll get a kitchen so it can save you extra money by cooking your personal meals however accommodations do supply some good conveniences.
There are fairly a couple of good rental condominium choices accessible in Athens — it is best to be capable to discover a extremely rated studio for round €40-€80/night time or a 1-bedroom nearer to €60-€70. If you wish to hire a room in somebody’s place, count on to pay round €25-€35/night time.
MORE CITY PRICE GUIDES
We’ve written greater than 30 European metropolis costs guides — see all of them on our Value To Go to Europe Information.
No Humorous Enterprise
We wish to be totally clear that this publish could include affiliate hyperlinks. Which means we obtain a small fee in the event you make a purchase order after clicking the hyperlink — it doesn’t value you something further and it helps assist the positioning.
Thanks For The Assist! — Susan and James
Questions? Be taught extra about our Strict Promoting Coverage and How To Assist Us.