Belgium is a small nation that’s well-served by a contemporary and comfy rail system. Most individuals stick with the principle cities of Antwerp, Brussels, Brugge, and Ghent — all of which has loads of prepare routes on daily basis. There may be additionally a separate high-speed prepare that connects Brussels to a handful of worldwide locations (Paris, Amsterdam, London, and so on.). That mentioned, taking the prepare in Belgium is reasonable and simple however in our Belgium Prepare Information we’ll cowl all its quirks.
How To Purchase Belgium Prepare Tickets
Let’s check out the assorted prepare ticket choices…
Home Prepare Tickets
All home prepare tickets are mounted value primarily based on the space traveled so there isn’t a level in shopping for forward. Merely present up on the station, purchase your ticket on the ticket machine or ticket window, and hop on the prepare. It’s simple. That mentioned, you possibly can take a look at belgianrail.be to see prepare costs and schedules.
Weekend Spherical Journey Ticket
In the event you purchase a round-trip ticket for after 7 pm on a Friday night time and return on/earlier than the final prepare on Sunday then you definately get the complete journey prices the identical as a one-way ticket.
Spending a number of time in Belgium? You should buy a pack of 10 one-way tickets (good for a 12 months) for €77 2nd class or €118 in 1st class — which is beneath €eight for 2nd class. These tickets can be utilized for any journey.
Go Move 10
Are you beneath 26? Take a look at the Go Move 10 which is 10 tickets to any vacation spot for € 52 — which is €5.20 per ticket. Not too shabby.
Worldwide Prepare Tickets
Belgium has fairly a number of high-speed connections to different worldwide cities — most notably are Paris, London, and Amsterdam (however there are connections to simply about each main metropolis).
All these tickets needs to be bought upfront as they get far more costly because the departure date approaches. For instance, a Thalys high-speed prepare from Brussels to Amsterdam could be as low-cost as €29 when bought three months upfront however you’ll pay nearer to €80 when you purchase a number of days upfront.
The place To Purchase Worldwide Prepare Tickets
TrainLine.eu: TrainLine is a third-party reserving website that connects instantly to a number of European rail networks and it provides you a similar costs you’d discover instantly reserving by these websites (i.e. they don’t cost further charges). In addition they take worldwide bank card funds and allow you to choose up your tickets on the prepare station or print your personal tickets.
RailEurope.com: Rail Europe is the official North American distributor of European prepare tickets so funds and reserving directions are hassle-free for North Individuals. The web site is user-friendly and also you get the advantage of native English-speaking buyer help in case you have a difficulty and you may pay in USD. The principle draw back is that costs are typically increased so make sure to evaluate earlier than reserving.
Suggestions For Utilizing Belgian Trains
- The Departures Board: You’ll discover your prepare platform by way of the departure board on the prepare station. Don’t fear when you don’t see your prepare as a result of they usually solely show trains departing inside the subsequent 10-20 minutes.
- Prepare Delays: Belgium doesn’t have one of the best report of trains being on-time. It’s frequent for trains to be 10-15 minutes late.
- Prepare Schedule: There are two trains each hour that join Bruges, Ghent, and Brussels.
- Self-Service Machines Are In English: All of the ticket machines (and prepare station indicators) are all in English. There’s a good likelihood customer support individuals additionally communicate English.
- Obtain The Rail Planner App: There are a selection of rail apps however we just like the Eurail App — it primarily has the timetables/data for each prepare in Europe and it doesn’t require an web connection.
- Pack A Picnic: You’re allowed to carry your personal meals and alcohol on trains. It’s nice for these lengthy prepare rides.
- Baggage: There aren’t any weight limits on baggage and you may carry as a lot as you need (effectively, as a lot as you possibly can carry). Merely carry it on and retailer it above your head, behind your seat, or within the baggage racks in every automobile.
- Open Seating: Home trains don’t have assigned seats so sit anyplace.
- Making Connections: Your journey may require you to vary trains alongside the journey. Don’t fear if there isn’t a lot time between trains as switching trains are normally pretty fast and simple (it’s not like flying).
- Get To The Prepare Station Early: Prepare stations are normally pretty simple to navigate however they could be a little complicated.
- Know Prepare Station Names: Brussels has a number of prepare stations so this usually creates confusion. Double examine to be sure you have the suitable station — particularly when reserving your ticket. Additionally, it’s frequent for there to be stops within the suburbs exterior large cities however you gained’t wish to get off there (simply watch what a lot of the prepare is doing).
Extra Articles For Touring in Belgium
No Humorous Enterprise
We wish to be totally clear that this publish could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Which means we obtain a small fee when you make a purchase order after clicking the hyperlink — it doesn’t price you something further and it helps help the positioning.
Thanks For The Help! — Susan and James
Questions? Study extra about our Strict Promoting Coverage and How To Help Us.