It’s no secret that we love the Nationwide Parks. Ever since we began exploring them collectively, we determined that we needed to go to each single one. Since we’re native adventurers, which means all of the Nationwide Parks in NYC too!
What’s that? There are Nationwide Parks in New York Metropolis?
After we say Nationwide Parks, you is perhaps assuming it’s the 59 main Nationwide Parks like Yosemite, Nice Smoky Mountains, and Yellowstone. However do you know that there are over 400 nationwide park models that embrace nationwide monuments, nationwide historic websites, nationwide recreation areas, and many others? They’re all managed by the Nationwide Park Service, and most of the main parks, in actual fact, began as nationwide monuments. Are you able to guess the variety of nationwide parks in New York Metropolis?
We’re at all times on the lookout for methods we are able to share extra concerning the parks and assist them any method we are able to, so we’re excited to accomplice with Nature Valley to get the phrase out concerning the Summer time of a Million Miles Problem! We’ll get into extra element under on the right way to take part to lift funding for the Nationwide Park Basis, the official charitable parter of the Nationwide Park Service. There’s even an opportunity to win a visit to a Nationwide Park!
This gave us another excuse to discover the nationwide parks in NYC! There are 11 parks with 23 totally different websites to see.
11 NATIONAL PARKS IN NEW YORK CITY FOR YOU TO EXPLORE
1. Fort Clinton Nationwide Monument, Battery Park
Deal with: Battery Park New York, NY 10004
Price: No Price
Hours: Solar to Sat 7:45AM – 5PM
That is the place NYC started. It was initially constructed to forestall a British invasion in 1812, however now welcomes thousands and thousands of tourists to New York Harbor. It’s the ticket workplace for Statue Cruises, so is consistently stuffed with guests ready to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, but in addition has its personal displays and Junior Ranger program. Remember to make time to spend a while right here.
Professional Tip: Since its the gateway to the Statue of Liberty, it will get extraordinarily crowded! If you wish to go to earlier than the crowds, arrive proper after they open. You can even see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty from right here – simply stroll all the way down to the water (there’s a photograph of Jacob from right here together with his backpack later within the submit)!
2. Federal Corridor Nationwide Memorial, Monetary District
Deal with: 26 Wall St, New York, NY 10005
Price: No Price
Hours: Mon to Sat 9AM – 5PM
George Washington took the oath of workplace as our first president right here on Wall Avenue. It was the place the primary Congress, Supreme Court docket, and Govt Department workplaces had been. The present constructing later as a result of a part of the US Sub-Treasury, and is now house to a museum and memorial to Washington and the beginning of the USA.
We had walked by a number of instances over the previous few months and it’s at all times crowded outdoors. Tons of individuals cease right here and the neighboring NYSE to take photographs, however since we had been on a mission to go to all of the websites, we fought via the crowds and headed inside. To our shock, the within was actually empty! We had been in a position to benefit from the displays and get out of the warmth and crowds.
three. Gateway Nationwide Recreation Space
Deal with: 210 New York Avenue Staten Island, NY 10305
Price: No Price, Some websites do have seasonal parking charges not lined by the American the Stunning Go
Hours: Varies Per Website
The Gateway Nationwide Recreation Space covers 27,000 acres of land in New York and New Jersey. The three geographic models are: Sandy Hook, NJ, Jamaica Bay, NY, and Staten Island, NY. Inside the NYC models, there’s Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, Fort Tilden, Riis Park, Floyd Bennett Discipline, and Canarsie Pier. Staten Island provides Nice Kills Park, Miller Discipline, and Fort Wadsworth. Evidently, this provides you a ton of areas to discover together with parks and seashores!
Should you’re unsure the place to start out, cease by one of many Customer Facilities:
- Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Customer Heart – information concerning the Wildlife Refuge, birds, and different animals generally seen.
- Ryan Customer Heart – positioned at Floyd Bennet Discipline, there are displays about aviation historical past right here.
- Sandy Hook Guests Heart / Lighthouse Keepers Quarters – be taught extra concerning the oldest repeatedly working lighthouse within the US.
Four. Decrease East Facet Tenement Museum Nationwide Historic Website
Deal with: 103 Orchard Avenue New York, NY 10002
Price: Guided Excursions $25
Hours: Fri to Wed 10AM – 6:30PM, Thurs 12AM – 12AM
Get a glance into the historical past of the Decrease East Facet and the immigrants who lived right here from 1863 to 1935. There are a number of excursions that cowl the whole lot from Neighborhood Strolling Excursions to Tenement Excursions, however no matter what you’re doing, you’ll rapidly be taught that every tour is concentrated on tales. They may inform you a couple of explicit household on every tour and the way their lives had been within the area.
We did the Sweatshop Tour. Through the go to, we had been in a position to see an condo within the situation because it was discovered with the layers and layers of wallpaper and artifacts from the excavation then headed to an condo that was restored to what it regarded like after they had been dwelling in it.
Notice: This website is loosely affiliated with the NPS. Your America the Stunning Go doesn’t embrace the excursions and there aren’t Rangers right here. You possibly can nonetheless get a stamp in your passbook, simply ask for the stamp on the cashier. There isn’t any pictures allowed and backpacks usually are not allowed on the tour. There are lockers on website that price 1 / 4.
5. Common Grant Nationwide Memorial, Morningside Heights
Deal with: Riverside Drive and 122nd Avenue New York, NY 10027
Price: No Price
Hours: Customer Heart: Wed to Solar 9AM – 5PM; Mosauleum: Weds to Solar 10-11AM, 12-1PM, 2-3PM, Four-5PM
That is the most important mausoleum in North America and the ultimate resting place of President Ulysses S. Grant and his spouse. It actually exhibits the nations gratitude to the person who ended the bloodiest battle in American historical past and his efforts to heal a nation after a civil struggle.
Professional Tip: West of the Nationwide Memorial, cease by the Overlook Pavilion Customer Heart to discover the museum and get views of the Hudson River.
6. Governors Island Nationwide Monument
Deal with: Governors Island, New York
Price: No Price to Go to, however you could pay for the Ferry ($three roundtrip for adults, free for youngsters beneath 13)
Hours: The island is just open to the general public through the summer time season and adjustments dates yearly. Hours for 2018: Mon to Fri 10AM – 6PM; Fri 10AM – 10PM; Sat to Solar 10AM – 7PM. Open till October 31, 2018.
This 172-acre island comes alive in the summertime with artwork, tradition, and performances. Inside the island lies 22 acres containing the Nationwide Monument made up of Fort Jay, Fort Williams, and Dock 102 that was house tot he U.S. Military from 1794 to 1966.
7. Statue of Liberty Nationwide Monument
Deal with: Liberty Island, New York, NY 10004
Price: No Entrance Price, however Ferry Tickets should be Bought from Statue Cruises (Further charges for Crown and Pedestal entry.)
Hours: Normal Ferry Hours Solar to Sat 9:30AM – three:30PM (prolonged hours in the summertime and holidays)
The Statue of Liberty is likely one of the most acknowledged landmarks on this planet and a common image of freedom and democracy. When visiting, you should purchase a regular ferry ticket that provides you entry to Liberty Island and the grounds surrounding the statue, a Pedestal ticket that means that you can see the museum inside and climb to the highest of the pedestal (the stone portion of the statue), or a Crown entry ticket, that allow’s you climb all the way in which to the crown of the statue.
We did the Pedestal entry ticket and obtained on the very first ferry from NYC (additionally they have ferries from NJ). Should you come from the NYC facet, the ferry goes to Liberty Island first, then to Ellis Island. Since we had been the primary ones on the market, we may get superb pictures as we approached the island with no crowds there. By the point we left, there have been folks everywhere in the pedestal and grounds across the statue. Afterward, we headed over to Ellis Island to get a glimpse of the area the place 12 million immigrants handed via to enter this nation from 1892 to 1954. We form of wished our household had extra historical past in America as a result of going via the Ellis Island Immigration Museum can be strolling the footsteps of our ancestors.
Professional-Tip: The climb as much as the Statue of Liberty pedestal is not any joke! We’re decently match, however the 215 steps undoubtedly gave us a exercise. Should you’re persevering with to the crown, it’s an extra 162 steps via a really slim stairway. We heard that some folks can’t end as a result of they get claustrophobic.
Eight. Stonewall Nationwide Monument, Greenwich Village
Deal with: West 4th Avenue, New York, NY 10014
Price: No Price
Hours: Christopher Park is open from 9 AM to Nightfall
The Stonewall Rebellion on June 28, 1969 is a large milestone within the LGBT civil rights motion. Up till the 1960s, dwelling brazenly as a lesbian, homosexual, bisexual, or transgender was unlawful, and NYC legal guidelines had been significantly harsh. It is a model new Nationwide Park unit so there isn’t a Customer Heart but, however you will get extra info at Fort Clinton and on-line earlier than visiting the positioning. It encompasses Stonewall Inn, Christopher Park, and some blocks round it (see map).
Since we went throughout delight month, it was embellished with flags and colourful flowers.
9. Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace Nationwide Historic Website, Flatiron
Deal with: 28 East 20th Avenue New York, NY 10003
Price: No Price
Hours: Wed to Solar 9AM – 5PM
Go to the boyhood house of our 26th President, Theodore Roosevelt. Throughout your go to, you’ll be able to watch a 5-minute introductory movie, examine the exhibit gallery containing artifacts and historic information, or go on a guided tour of the 5 restored interval rooms. Don’t overlook to turn into a Junior Ranger too!
10. Hamilton Grange Nationwide Memorial, Harlem
Deal with: 414 West 141st Avenue New York, NY 10031
Price: No Price
Hours: Wed to Solar 9AM – 5PM
I’ll admit that I knew little or no about Alexander Hamilton till we noticed the musical, Hamilton. From humble beginnings, he grew to turn into George Washington’s right-hand man, and finally helped form and construct the instruments to assist our new nation succeed. You possibly can be taught extra about him at this nation house he inbuilt Harlem via movies, displays, and guided excursions.
11. African Burial Floor Nationwide Monument, Monetary District
Deal with: 290 Broadway New York, NY 10007
Price: No Price
Hours: Tue to Sat 10AM – 4PM
That is the oldest and largest identified excavated burial floor in North America for each free and enslaved Africans. There’s a customer middle the place you’ll be able to discover displays and be taught concerning the historic position slavery performed in constructing NYC. The memorial honors all these buried right here.
Notice: At present beneath building.
Did you might have any thought that there have been so many Nationwide Park Models within the metropolis? Irrespective of the place you reside, see what Nationwide Parks are close to you. Should you can’t get to 1, no worries! Get out and discover anywhere you’d like and be a part of the problem to assist the parks.
HOW YOU CAN SUPPORT THE NATIONAL PARKS
To be part of the Nature Valley’s Summer time of a Million Miles Problem, comply with these easy steps:
- Obtain Underneath Armour’s MapMyHike app
- Enroll and create an account
- Click on on the trophy on the backside and be a part of the ‘Nature Valley Million Miles Problem‘ which can run from now via August 31st.
- Log your hikes all through the summer time and with sufficient qualifying miles, you will be entered for an opportunity to win thrilling prizes.
- On the finish of the summer time, one fortunate winner will likely be chosen to win the grand prize, a 4 day three night time keep at a Nationwide Park.
- Better of all, if everybody collaborating collectively logs at the very least a million miles in qualifying hikes, Nature Valley will donate $250,000 to the Nationwide Park Basis, the official charitable accomplice of the Nationwide Park Service.
- To be taught extra go to the Summer time of a Million Miles web page.
Now listed here are extra concepts of locations you’ll be able to go to trace your steps, however actually it could possibly even be strolling via your metropolis too. Moreover the spots above, we additionally tracked our steps strolling via the town and at Central Park.
MORE NATIONAL PARKS IN NEW YORK STATE
- Eleanor Roosevelt Nationwide Historic Website, (106 Valkill Park Rd, Hyde Park 12538, map)
- Fireplace Island Nationwide Seashore (Ocean Seaside, map)
- Fort Stanwix Nationwide Monument, Rome (100 N James St, Rome, 13440, map)
- Harriet Tubman Nationwide Historic Park (180 South St, Auburn, 13021, map)
- Dwelling of Franklin D. Roosevelt Nationwide Historic Website (4097 Albany Submit Rd, Hyde Park, 12538, map)
- Martin Van Buren Nationwide Historic Website (1013 Outdated Submit Rd, Kinderhook, 12106, map)
- Saint Paul’s Church Nationwide Historic Website (897 S Columbus Ave, Mt Vernon, 10550, map)
- Sagamore Hill Nationwide Historic Website, (20 Sagamore Hill Rd, Oyster Bay, 11771, map)
- Saratoga Nationwide Historic Park (648 NY-32, Stillwater, 12170, map)
- Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Nationwide Historic Website (641 Delaware Ave, Buffalo 14202, map)
- Vanderbilt Mansion Nationwide Historic Website (119 Vanderbilt Park Rd, Hyde Park, NY 12538, map)
- Girls’s Rights Nationwide Historic Park (136 Fall St, Seneca Falls, NY 13148, map)
MAJOR NATIONAL PARK NEAR NEW YORK CITY
If you wish to go to one of many fundamental 59, one of the best nationwide park close to New York to go to is Acadia Nationwide Park in Maine. NYC to Acadia Nationwide Park is roughly an Eight-hour drive (map).
NYC STATE PARKS
- Bayswater Level State Park (1479 Level Breeze Pl, Far Rockaway, 11691, map)
- Clay Pit Ponds State Park Protect (83 Nielsen Ave, Staten Island, 10309, map)
- East River State Park (90 Kent Avenue, Brooklyn, 11211, map) – Smorgasburg is right here on Saturdays.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt 4 Freedoms State Park (Roosevelt Island, 10044, map)
- Gantry Plaza State Park (Four-09 47th Rd, Lengthy Island Metropolis, 11101, map)
- Hudson River Park (353 West St 2nd Ground, 10044, map)
- Denny Farrell Riverbank State Park (679 Riverside Dr, 10031, map)
- Roberto Clemente State Park (301 West Tremont Ave Bronx, 10453, map)
MOST POPULAR NEW YORK STATE PARKS
- Niagara Falls State Park (332 Prospect St, Niagara Falls, NY 14303, map)
- Jones Seaside State Park (1 Ocean Pkwy, Wantagh, NY 11793, map)
- Robert Moses State Park (Fireplace Island, map)
- Saratoga Spa State Park (19 Roosevelt Dr, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866, map)
- Sunken Meadow State Park (1 Sunken Meadow Pkwy, Kings Park, NY 11754, map)
- Bear Mountain State Park (Route 9W North, Bear Mountain, NY 10911, map)
- Rockland Lake State Park (299 Rockland Lake Rd, Valley Cottage, NY 10989, map)
- Buttermilk Falls State Park (112 E Buttermilk Falls Street, Ithaca, NY 14850, map)
- Chimney Bluffs State Park (7700 Garner Rd, Wolcott, NY 14590, map)
- Satan’s Gap State Park (Niagara Scenic Pkwy, Niagara Falls, NY 14305, map)
- Fort Niagara State Park (1 Scott Ave, Youngstown, NY 14174, map)
- Letchworth State Park (1 Letchworth State Park, Castile, NY 14427, map)
- Minnewaska State Park (5281 Route 44-55, Kerhonkson, NY 12446, map)
- Robert Treman State Park (105 Enfield Falls Rd, Ithaca, NY 14850, map)
- Taughannock Falls State Park (1740 Taughannock Boulevard, Trumansburg, 14886, map)
- Watkins Glen State Park (1009 N Franklin St, Watkins Glen, NY 14891, map)
- See the Full Record of New York State Parks Record right here.
Irrespective of the place your hikes take you, be ready with the suitable gear, water, and at all times have snacks readily available. Nature Valley granola bars are the right strategy to maintain you fueled in your subsequent journey! Try our packing information under for particulars on what it’s best to pack wherever you head. And don’t overlook to tag your photographs with #NatureValleyHikeAMillion.