A few weeks in the past I lined Alitalia’s doubling the worth of associate awards in a single day.
Their associate award chart had stated for a number of weeks that it was ‘legitimate by October 14’ nevertheless no new chart was posted upfront. So members have been shocked that many awards doubled.
A transatlantic economic system award on Delta or Air France now prices 100,000 miles plus gas surcharges which is just insane.
In distinction, Alitalia nonetheless prices 80,000 miles roundtrip for enterprise class by itself flights.
Alitalia flight award costs haven’t modified and that’s true for upgrades as properly.
And there’s some excellent news in Alitalia’s adjustments as properly.
- Improved on-line redemption. Now you can e book associate awards on-line, and likewise new money and miles awards as properly. That saves you the trouble of speaking to Alitalia brokers whom I place in probably the most irritating quartile of airline name heart employees.
- Higher combinability of awards. You may mix economic system and enterprise class in an award, no penalty for a technique bookings now, and money and miles redemptions begin at 345 miles as much as full ‘pay with miles’ choices (and people earn miles too).
- Now you can cancel an award and redeposit miles, in addition to pay award taxes and charges with miles and likewise use miles to pay for ancillary providers like premium seating and baggage prices.
- Companion awards will be mixed right into a single ticket at one value.
- New miles for merchandise “MilleMiglia Gallery” with over 700 gadgets to buy.
I checked in with the Alitalia of us to seek out out what to anticipate going ahead.
- The present Alitalia program will finish December 31, 2017. They clarify that the utmost validity of this system underneath Italian legislation is 5 years. Up to now, their applications have lasted closed to three years. They’ve beforehand introduced although that this time when this system expires members will get to maintain their miles.
- The present award charts are printed to run out December 31 however they inform me “we’re planning to substantiate shortly the present desk till 31/12/2017 as properly.” This could give confidence that we gained’t see a devaluation earlier than then and that Altalia’s low cost redemptions and upgrades for their very own flights will stay in place for greater than a 12 months.
I nonetheless strongly consider the rise in associate award pricing could be very out of step with rivals, and that the adjustments with out discover are extremely objectionable.
Nonetheless – and I initially pointed this out as properly – the continuation of Alitalia flight awards on the identical value as earlier than represents sturdy worth, and mixed with the expectation that these costs gained’t be altering quickly makes this system a continued helpful one for members.